CLYDE. was built by Ed Newcomb in Pepin, WI from 1991 - 2001. The CLYDE. was named after Rafter CLYDE., the first iron hulled boat (1870) on the Upper Mississippi River. Ed Newcome's grandfather, Frank Newcomb, was pilot on the CLYDE. and his brother Ike Newcomb was Master. When Ed was a kid, his dad built a 20' sternwheeler with a 6 HP Briggs, and "this started the whole deal", Ed recalled.
On May 17, 2012, Captain Don Sanders, long-time steamboat Captain; former Master of the DELTA QUEEN, the P.A. DENNY and many other paddlewheel vessels, bought the CLYDE. from Mr. Newcomb and with the help of a friend, Everett Dameron, brought the sternwheeler under its own power from Alma, WI, on the Upper Mississippi, to Aurora, IN, on the Midle Ohio River a distance of some 1,300 miles. The CLYDE. presently calls Aurora home.